Regular Dental Exams Help You Maintain a Healthy Smile
It is recommended that patients undergo a dental exam at least twice a year, sometimes more if you suffer from conditions such as gum disease. During your exam, Drs. David D. Wyse and Jay W. Chrisman will perform an in-depth evaluation of your teeth and gums at our practice in Bloomington, IL. Undergoing a dental exam regularly allows them to continuously monitor for any symptoms or conditions that may endanger your oral health and provide timely treatment to prevent escalating dental issues. Our team is committed to helping you and your family maintain healthy, beautiful smiles.
Who Needs a Dental Exam?
Dental exams are recommended for all patients, even if you no longer have any of your natural teeth. Additionally, children should begin visiting the dentist as soon as their first tooth erupts. The doctor can then determine when they will need to undergo their exams.
Benefits of Regular Exams
Undergoing biannual exams is crucial to maintaining your oral health. These checkups offer several distinct benefits, including:
- Catching Conditions at the Earliest Stages
- Fully examining your teeth and gums every six months allows the doctor to fairly consistently monitor your oral health. This usually prevents any conditions that have developed from escalating farther than the earliest stages.
- Minimized Risk of Dental Conditions
- Along with your exam, you will undergo a professional cleaning which allows the hygienist to remove built-up plaque and tartar. This is an essential preventive measure. Certain conditions, such as gingivitis, can even be reversed with professional cleaning.
- Protecting Your Overall Health
- Maintaining your oral health is fundamental to your full-body health. Conditions such as gum disease can heighten your risk of serious health conditions such as heart disease and stroke.
What Does a Dental Exam Entail?
During your dental exam, the doctor will:
- Visually evaluate your teeth, gums, and jaw
- Take comprehensive x-rays
- Screen for oral cancer
- Determine if you can benefit from fluoride
After you are examined by Dr. Wyse or Dr. Chrisman, one of our dental hygienists will perform a professional cleaning. Depending on your needs, we will also often provide home care recommendations to improve your current dental hygiene regimen.
Biannual Exams Are Affordable
Typically, insurance covers two exams each year. However, even if you do not have insurance, an annual exam is fairly inexpensive. It is certainly more affordable than the cost of more extensive treatments, such as root canal therapy and dental implants, which are needed once conditions escalate.
It is recommended that patients undergo a dental exam at least twice a year, sometimes more if you suffer from conditions such as gum disease.
Why Choose Us?
Our office has been serving the community for nearly a century and is the oldest running dental practice in town. As such, our team is dedicated to providing the highest level of care to you and your family through friendly service and exceptional dental work. As a comprehensive dental practice, we can also accommodate the needs of your entire family and provide personalized care tailored to all ages.
Your Health is Our Priority
If you are experiencing pain or other concerning symptoms, even if it's before your next exam, contact us online or call us at (309) 663-6393. We are committed to providing the care you need to protect your smile.
“I love my "new teeth." I feel so much better about my smile. The staff at Dr. Chrisman's office was very friendly and professional. I would recommend them to anyone looking for excellent dental care.” Jennifer B