Invisalign for Overcrowding
By Dr. David Wyse on August 07, 2020
Crowded teeth affect the appearance of your smile. Most importantly, teeth are much more difficult to clean when they are not in alignment.
Invisalign® is a popular alternative to metal braces. This system can correct many of the same orthodontic issues, including crowded, overlapped teeth.
Dr. David D. Wyse and Dr. Jay W. Chrisman offer Invisalign at our Bloomington, IL dental practice. In this article, we will explore Invisalign for overcrowding and explain why so many of our patients choose this treatment.
What Causes Overcrowding?
Overcrowding may be mild, moderate, or severe. This orthodontic condition can be caused by a number of factors. Here are just a few:
- An underdeveloped jaw
- Teeth that are too large for the jaw
- Shifting caused by premature tooth loss
- Over-retained primary teeth, or baby teeth that do not erupt properly
No matter what the cause, overcrowding is a common condition that can be properly addressed with orthodontics. During an appointment at our Bloomington, IL practice, we can help determine if Invisalign is right for you.
How Invisalign Can Address Overcrowding
In general, mild to moderate cases of overcrowding can be successfully treated with Invisalign. Depending on the specific situation, other treatments may be combined with Invisalign to achieve the desired results:
- Interproximal reduction (IPR): In some cases, the dentist must remove small amounts of enamel to create more space for teeth movement.
- Rubber bands: Sometimes patients need to wear rubber bands on their molars while undergoing Invisalign treatment.
- Expanders: When a narrow upper jaw has caused overcrowding, a palatal expander may be recommended. These devices are typically only used for young children. But in the right instances, they may be appropriate for adults.
- Attachments: Additional buttons may be bonded onto the surfaces of the teeth. These apply pressure at certain points and aid in appropriate tooth movement.
- Extractions: Though tooth removal is a last resort, it is sometimes necessary in cases of overcrowding. This creates more room in the jaw so the teeth can be moved into their proper locations.
The Importance of Treating Overcrowded Teeth
Many individuals seek Invisalign treatment because they want a more attractive smile. But there are plenty of other reasons to straighten your teeth.
Teeth are much more difficult to clean when they are not in proper alignment. In the case of overcrowding, plaque, tartar, and bacteria can easily become trapped between the teeth, leading to decay and gum disease. Left untreated, these conditions can cause other oral health problems, including mobility and tooth loss.
How to Know if Invisalign is Right for You
To qualify for any type of orthodontic treatment, patients must be in good oral health. If decay or periodontal disease is present, these issues must be addressed prior to Invisalign treatment.
During a consultation at Wyse Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our doctors perform a full assessment of your teeth, gums, jaws, and other oral structures. X-rays and scans are also taken to detect any other potential issues.
Once we have gathered all necessary information, we will talk with you in detail about your oral health and cosmetic goals. Together, we can determine if Invisalign can meet your needs.
Learn More about Invisalign
If overcrowded or crooked teeth are affecting your oral health and confidence, schedule an appointment at our Bloomington, IL practice. Contact us online anytime or call our office at (309) 663-6393.
Related to This
“I love my "new teeth." I feel so much better about my smile. The staff at Dr. Chrisman's office was very friendly and professional. I would recommend them to anyone looking for excellent dental care.” Jennifer B